Monday, May 27, 2013

Still alive and kicking - in more ways than one

It's been awhile since I've written here - I've been having some computer issues.    I'm currently shopping for a little computer of some kind.    Am thinking maybe an iPad or the Google Nexus 10 - if you have any recommendations would love to hear it.

Now, I am here to write about a story I heard today that not only horrified me, but it made me realize that there are more women in this situation other than I.    

I work with a woman who sits close to me - let's call her Alice - who told me a story about her childhood friend from 30 years ago.    They got together for the first time in 30 years last Thursday night.   Alice explained that this woman was the most popular girl in high school - and for all the right reasons - she was pretty, smart, and just a lovely person.   30 years later, she has four beautiful children, a great career and a "dead-beat" husband who hasn't worked in ten years.  

(Insert my story here:   my dead-beat husband hasn't worked in three years.   And that friggin' story ends right here!)

OK, so back to Alice's friend.    She hadn't seen Alice in 30 years, and Alice said her friend could hardly contain herself from sharing her story.   She so wanted to reach out and talk about it, but after 30 years, was it right?  was it appropriate?   Alice said she felt that when the night was over, her friend didn't want to leave.   Didn't want to go home - back to her life.

What horrifies me about this story....well it horrifies me, and it breaks my compassionate heart - is that there are more woman than she and I.    I can tell you many more stories just like hers and mine.    Women married to these men who have not one ounce of pride in their bones, who take advantage of women, and are just plain lazy asses.

Now don't get me wrong - this is not a "man bashing" blog.  Not at all.    I know lots of great men, and husbands.    But seriously, what is UP with these guys?    And I guess it's a fair question to ask - how do we women find ourselves in these situations?   with these people who take advantage of us?

Women!  Bond together and help a sister in a situation like this.    If you sense your friend wants to talk about it, invite her to do so.   Let her know she's safe in your company, and that your ears are hers as much as she needs.    It's so hard to admit this type of thing out loud.    Admitting that not only is your Prince Charming not so charming, but is actually emotionally abusing you (sorry, but that's what it is).    So so hard.    So be there, be present for the women in your life.   You just never know who is hurting, suffering, feeling smothered, emotionally abused or worse yet physically abused.


Sometimes we all need help to 'push reset' - but once we do, oh my, is it one of the most liberating and respectful things we can do fir our souls.

PUSH THE EFFING BUTTON!!!

Hugs,


No comments:

Post a Comment